Telecom Workers Declare Strike On Monday



Workers in the country‘s telecommunications industry have announced that they will be embarking on an indefinite nationwide strike from Monday, September 5, 2022.

The strike, declared by the executive of the Telecom
and IT Professionals Union is to press home their demands for several conditions of service.

Read also : Heavy Downpour Cuts Off Yendi-Saboba-Chereponi

The members of the union include outsourced engineers, technicians, IT professionals, and other allied workers managing the technical operations of the three major telecom companies, MTN, Vodafone, and AirtelTigo.

A statement signed and issued by the General Secretary of the Union, Israel Edem Agbegbor, said the telecom workers would withdraw their services until three key “non-negotiable demands” are met by their employers.

Read also :Ghana paid $2m for shares for dev’t of sky train project – 2021 A-G’s report 

According to the statement, the union is demanding an “immediate recall of all targeted members of the union whose contracts had not been renewed by these employers by mere association with the union and
other Union leaders who are part of the current joint standing negotiation committee and sub-committee negotiating the 2022 Collective Agreement and
salary increment.

Also on demand is an “immediate payment of Golden handshake to all our members whose contracts have
ended with Reliance and have not been renewed.”

Additionally, the union is demanding a “joint signing and submission of a letter to NLC referring to the salary
negotiation and pending items in the 2022 Collective Agreement to compulsory or voluntary arbitration
after over six weeks of declaring a deadlock.

Read Also :(VIDEO) Be prepared to pay taxes for dev’t – Road Minister tells Ghanaians  

The statement said the union had duly notified the National Labor Commission, and their four
subcontract employers; Reliance Personnel Services Limited, Reime Ghana Limited, MP Infrastructure
Ghana Limited and Linfra Ghana Limited, in a Notice of Strike, dated August 25, 2022.

The union said it had been
forced to take such actions due to increasing incidents of victimisation of members, the lack of
cooperation and commitment of their employers in addressing their outstanding demands. 

Read Also : Ellembelle: Excavators left in the care of police missing  

“‘And since all attempts to get the cooperation of these employers have failed, we think it is time for
action until the following non-negotiable conditions are met” the statement said.

The union explained that the move was in response to their employers’ decision not to renew the contract
of over 100 targeted members and executives across the National, Regional, and Branch levels.

“These include representatives who are also part of the current Joint Standing Negotiation Committee or
Sub-Committee negotiating the 2022 CA and salary increment with the employers which has hit a
deadlock.

Source : DailyGuide 

READ ALSO : 

Boy with blue eyes, white hairs and a lightning mark on face goes viral (video)  

I’m aware ‘powerful forces’ are against Free SHS – Akufo-Addo   

I’m Vindicated- Koku Anyidoho Shouts Out, As NDC MPs Storm Jubilee House   

Health Minister Discharged In Ato Forson Trial 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form